Re: tools definitions

To: "Aron Travis" <atravis@spacey.net>, "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: tools definitions
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:23:31 -0400
> > > Hey, the internet is a free for all
> >
> >   No, not true. The internet is certainly not a free for all..

Yes it is...

> >   A similar but accurate statement would be that the internet
> > polices itself. The netizens generally know what's right and
> > will pool efforts to keep it that way..
>
> Yes, I agree. But the internet is, for lack of better words, more 'open
> minded', than other media forums. Which means to me, posting a list
> of humorous tool definitions, that I recieved from another list, that
> had other list members additions, is way too trivial of an issue to
> get the attention of the netizen police. If I were posting cookie
> recipies, racist slang, bawdy humor, etc, I can see it, but
> talking about how not crediting Road and Track is an 'actionable offense'
> is just absurd.

I actually enjoyed the Tools post.

> >   When somebody is telling you that what you are doing is wrong,
> > whether it's spamming, or posting to the wrong list, or stealing
> > quotes from Road and Track, that is the internet policing itself..
>
> No, I think that that was not the internet policing itself, I think
> that was one person, with that persons opinions. Now if everybody on the
> MG list says what I did was wrong.......

I just think that Trevor is pissed off at the world...because we don't do
things his way.  Aron you weren't wrong when posting, if no one wanted it
all they had to do was hit DELETE.

> Lighten up, I didn't steal from Road and Track. Do you think I'm sitting
> down at the computer with an issue of R&T in my lap, copying articles to
> make myself more popular, or something? That is just absurd. Do I
> have to check my sources before I post anything from another list?
> Should I email people that forward emails "Did you really write this,
> or did you plagerize it?"

This brings back the point of Intolerence on the list...I have posted stuff
from other sources (wether people I know, or magazines), and it isn't a big
deal...we are here to learn and have some fun not to criticize the
creditbility or the content of a an email.

> Sure, I can see if I copied a David Vizard book verbatim, and said
> 'Hey everybody, here's MY new book on tuning Midget engines", that
> that would be very wrong. But posting jokes without finding the
> origional source(s) just inhibits comunication.
>
> I think that this disscusion can be summed up with- you care, I don't.
> And you can quote me on that.

I don't care either...it was fine and then a bunch of fools turned it into
a law trial.

KMR