Re: Misc...Need Opinions and Advice

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Jay Quinn" <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Misc...Need Opinions and Advice
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:52:47 -0400
(Public and Private stuff included, so don't get pissed and flame me)

> That sounds quit involved so say the least.

Hey Jay..I have the 85,000 part numbers already inventoryed over at British
Miles, and they are in Dbase format, can you convert those into something
more useful in an internet enviroment?

> Parts houses around the world would be able to take advantage of that,
more
> so than we would.  Yes, it would be nice, including prices!  :)  on those
> cross reference searches.  Hint, hint.

Yup you got that, I decided to do this because I can also charge my boss
and include it in my pay hours as inventory work, hehe, just kidding...well
maybe a little ;-).  NO Prices that is a bitch...I am dealing with that
right now.

> What about the maintence of keeping it updated, and any libility for
> inaccuracies?  Copy right infringement?  Just a few thoughts.

Let me see BL, BMC, are outta business; and all is owned by Rover (and then
BMW)...I don't think they could sue me as long as I state that what part
numbers are from what source.  Keeping it updated is not a problem...that
is part of my summer job anyway, so I'll just do it on a regular basis.

> What about building in an online ordering system (Credit Card) that you
> could also select a dealer or reseller with a flat % discount and have
> quick math perfromed as someone goes through shopping for parts and wants
> to know the price and grand total if they buy it from one reseller
opposed
> to another or even *GASP* a dealer?

Hey Jay you wanna help?  Anyway like I said before prices are a pain, as
NOS/new/repro change all of the time, and I won't even begin to think about
used parts.  If I could get ALL Major part suppliers to agree on a set
price (like autobytel does with cars) then this system would be great for
shopping.

> Hey, leave it to me to increase your work load. ;^)=)

Everything you mentioned you are going to do...Mr. Systems Engineer!

KMR