FW: Funny, Auto related story

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Funny, Auto related story
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 08:44:51 -0400
************************JUST SOME BACKROUND HERE************************
I (kai) belong to the Inet-Access email list, and Mr. Rickard is holding a
convention for ISPs this year, and will be giving away a Hummer.  And of
course I did mention LBCs instead of a Hummer, but all 1200 people on that
list killed it when they some jerk said Lucas...now we are debating BMWs,
Miatas, and Porshes!  But this story is funny about Jack Ricards Hummer.

> Whatever the opinion, you get a LOT of attention in a Hummer.  Plan an
> extra ten minutes per gas stop and grocery store lots are a horror.
>
> Had an interesting story happen to me recently.  I related it in the HML
> mailing list, but I'll repeat it here.  I have a third-party auxiliary
tank
> on mine that's sort of peculiar, but it extends the range.  Lost the gas
> cap and the vendor, who never did sell many of them as it turns out, held
> me up for $65 for a new one.  It wasn't that good a cap anyway, but the
> filler neck is very peculiar and there aren't many options.
>
> I've been brewing mead at home recently.  So I went downstairs and found
> couple of bung stoppers.  These are white rubber corks with a hole in the
> center used to install a fermentation lock on a barrel of mead.  Tried
one
> on the gas tank and it was a perfect fit.  Vents well too, but I didn't
> want water to get in the tank, so I stuck a fermentation lock in it as
> well.  This is a kind of "S" shaped glass tube that you put a bit of
water
> in.  It forms a one way valve allowing the venting of CO2 created in the
> fermentation process, but prevents outside air from getting into the
> barrel.  Actually, it looked kind of cool.
>
> I went to the grocery store and as usual was accosted by a passerby.
This
> one knew what Hummers were, but he wasn't too sure about the fermentation
> lock sticking out of the side of the vehicle:
>
> PASSERBY: Hey, what is that thing?
>
> Me: Oh, it's an AM General Hummer.
>
> PASSERBY: No, I know that.  What's the thing sticking out the side of it
> (points to fermentation lock).
>
> Me:  Oh that, well er uh ahem its a - oh, it's an exhaust gas
> defractionilization demodulator extraction flavis waven.
>
> PASSERBY: What's it do?
>
> Me:  Well, it extracts fuel from the exhaust fumes of other vehicles in
> traffic.
>
> PASSERBY: Does it work?
>
> Me:  Well, better in town of course.  Not much traffic out on the back
> roads.  But it sucked a Toyota completely dry at a stoplight the other
day
> - and I haven't filled it up since March 13th.
>
> PASSERBY: I want one.
>
> Me: Well, it's still experimental and there's some problems.  The fuel it
> extracts is a little dirty at this point, so it only works with diesels.
>
> PASSERBY:  Oh, when do you expect to have it on the market?
>
> Me: Well, if my experience with the 200 mpg carburator is any indication,
> probably never.
>
> PASSERBY:  Yeah, those damn oil companies......(walks away).

> > From: Kai  Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
> > To: inet-access@earth.com
> > Subject: Re: Internet Hummeroid
> > Date: Friday, July 11, 1997 5:42 PM