Re: Midget Clutch Master Cylinder

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Midget Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 08:34:33 -0700
Mark Endicott wrote:

> It's 7:30 AM and I am sitting here looking at the bore of the clutch
> master cylinder from my 70 Midget.  It's the small separate one unlike
> the dual MC on the earlier cars. The interior wall has some wear on the
> bottom part in the front of the bore, the deeper internal surface looks
> OK.  I wonder if these can be honed or otherwise polished and rebuilt,
> since I have the kit.  My gut says it's too far gone, anybody found one
> at a chain parts store like NAPA?

You can always get it sleeved. There are brake master cylinders hones
that will work. Or, you can get a wooden dowel (small enough to fit
in your drill), cut a small slot in it, put a folded piece of fine
grit sandpaper (like 600 wet) in the slot, and spin it in the bore.
Keep it wet, and pay attention, but you can clean up the bore this way.
The dowel method works especially well on aluminium bores, like on
motorcycles. A good cleaning can do wonders, and since it's a clutch
MC, and therefore not a safty item, I would try the 'home' methods first.

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"