Re: DGV vs. HS6

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: DGV vs. HS6
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:04:58 +0100
larry.g.unger@lmco.com wrote:

> Andy Ramm wrote:
>
> > Can someone on the list compare/contrast the performance,
> > reliability and driveability characteristics of these two
> > carburettors?  I am considering an upgrade and am not sure
> > which to go with.
>
> Andy, Andy, Andy ... ya trying to revive the ol' SU vs. Weber
> thread again eh? ... ;^)
>
> IMHO ... unless you have made substantial engine mods, you
> won't see an increase in performance by fitting either a DGV or
> HS6s ...  a new set of HS6s are no more or less reliable than a
> new DGV.
>
> Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com

Larry drinks warm ale and doesn't salt his food, and drives a Volvo
station wagon. Who ya gonna trust?

New SUs carbs are relatively trouble free especially if you live in
warmer climates and dont' have to jab the choke very much. The HS6 will
give the opportunity to chase down a bunch of them weird needles and
jets that a lot of folks don't stock. Most SUs are 30 years old and are
always a little off. The goofy "constant depression" design is a pretty
good match to the goofy log manifold and siamesed head.

The DGV, once set up, is a "set and forget" carburetor. The "once set
up" is pretty much a done deal if you buy a good kit (like one made for
your car). Also, you can get a DGV with EPA compliance -- its a pretty
clean carb.

The DGV is a progressive two-barrel carb. There is some tuning you can
do to make sure the secondary opens fully. Once done, the performance
will be comparable to a stock set of SUs. That is, all parts being
equal, whoever fiddles with the carbs the most will likely have the
faster car.

The DGV has a reputation for an off-idle flat spot. It also has a
reputation for easy starting from cold. There also is little room under
the bonnet for a proper, free flowing, air filter.

The Weber DCOE is an entirely different animal. It probably won't help a
stock motor much but can bring the biggest gains with a hot cam, smooth
exhaust, etc. The Weber DCOE has always be designed for one valve, one
carb throat and the 'B' simaesed head complicates this a little. There
also may be a bit of problem getting the air filter to clear the brake
booster on late model 'B's.

The DCOE will use more gas around town and won't pass emissions.

The DCOE is pretty cool to play with, though.

I don't give a rats butt about S-K carbs or Del Ortos.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT w/3 DCOEs
"Cats. The other white meat."