Re: Flagstaff

To: wise@db.erau.edu
Subject: Re: Flagstaff
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:55:44 EDT
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 07:48:21 -0400 "John A. Wise" <wise@db.erau.edu>
writes:
>Several weeks ago, my son (Mark Wise) asked the list about for some
>advice
>about his forthcoming trip from San Jose, CA to Daytona Beach, FL in
>his
>MGB.
>
>Well he is on his way.  He phoned last night from the Grand Canyon. He
>said
>he was having agreat trip - loved the drive down the Calif coast road.
>Over the last day he was experiencingd rough idle and that a local
>mechanic
>(in the Grand Caynon area) told him it was the altitude leaning out
>the
>mixture.  I agreed with that diagnosis, particularly since it is a
>Calif
>car.

Sorry, can't help with a Flagstaff area mechanic, but can suggest the one
he's talked to already should not be allowed to touch the carbs....!

Higher altitude doesn't "lean out the carbs.", it makes them run richer!
Less air density at altitude, and all that scientific stuff....

So, he probably needs to set the carbs a few flats leaner to improve the
idle (if he has SUs, that is. If his is a late B with a Zenith-Stromberg,
it's not so easy to adjust.)

Of course, there are one or two other things that can cause a car's idle
to go rough (points closing up after a long drive, for just one example),
so let's hope that it''s something as simple as the thinner air of the
mountains.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center