Re: Heavy Weight Shock Oil

To: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Subject: Re: Heavy Weight Shock Oil
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:16:45 -0500
Spliced in below....

At 06:22 AM 7/17/97 -0500, Wayne Kube wrote:
>Jay Quinn wrote:
>>
>> Yes, a motorcycle shop.  Use 40 wt fork oil.
>>
>> Foams a lot less.

>> At 06:06 AM 7/16/97 -0500, Mark Endicott wrote:
>> >I have been looking for some heavy weight shock oil for the rear shocks
>> >in the Midget but haven't been able to find anything above 30 wt.
>> >Anybody have a recommendation where to look?
>> >
>> >Thanks Again,
>> >
>> >Mark
>> >70 Midget
>> >Nashville
>> >

>> --
>> Jay Quinn - Systems Engineer
>> jpquinn@cyberramp.net
>> http://www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn/index.htm
>> '62 Healey Sprite MKII HAN6L2874
>
>Mark and Jay -
>       Went through this a while back.  On advice from this list, I started
>searching for 50 wt fork oil.  Went to many cycle shops.  Heaviest I
>could find was 30 wt.  They checked their catalogs and called suppliers
>- no one professed any knowledge of anything greater than 30 wt.  One
>Harley shop, when I asked for 50 wt, not knowing it was for an LBC, said
>"Why don't you just weld the forks?"  So I bought the 30 wt, dismounted
>my shocks, drained and flushed them with kerosene, and refilled with the
>30 wt.  Talk about a firm ride now!  I'm still evalulating, but I may
>replace (at least on the rear shocks) the oil with 20 wt.  The ride is
>close to uncomfortable with the 30 wt.
>       On an aside, anyone know what type of oil was originally in the
>shocks?  That had to be about the worst smelling substance I have ever
>encountered!

Well, I've seen a botle of stuff at All Import Auto parts store that is a
special Mineral Oil Spirites type stuff.  Thats what is supposed to go in it.

I understand Motorcycle fork oil is even better because it doesn't foam.
Also doesn't crew up the shock lever mechanism.

As far as weight, I've only been told that 40 was good, but maybe that was
for racing.  If you've got 30 and it's a tad punishing, the 20 sounds like
it's in order.

Glad to know that because this is one of the things on the list to do
before getting the car all back together again.

I still don't know of a good, well tested or recommended brand to use.  I'm
sure any quality name brand is just fine.

Was dismounting your shocks for a good cleaning a big chore?