Re: new to list with a new car!

To: Palmer Family <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: new to list with a new car!
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:54:12 -0400
Palmer Family wrote:
the
> key is broken off in the ignition, you start it with a knife!

Re: The broken ign. key.  I just wanted to caution you about trying to
remove it yourself.  In fifteen years as a locksmith, I have experienced
MANY instances (more than _any_ other problem) where a customer has
doubled (even tripled) the cost of the job because they tried to remove
a broken key themselves.  In your case it could be even worse, because
at this point, you can at least drive the car.

Keep in mind;  If you try to remove it and can't the odds are very good
that you will change the current position of the broken piece of key and
you will no longer be able to turn it to start the car.  Also, you run
the chance of bending a tumbler (those little brass things in the lock),
and then you'll really have problems.

I believe in D.Y.S.ing as much as the next guy but concidering you can
drive the car, I strongly suggest that you take it to a *good*
locksmith.  If he can get it out without taking anything apart (and by
the way you describe the situation, he *should* be able to) It shouldn't
cost you more than $5 - $15, depending on what part of the country
you're in.

BTW - I wouldn't put it off too long as broken keys that are "working"
can stop working with out any advance notice, just by beinng jared out
of position by a sixteenth of an inch.

Bobby
77 MGB Roadster

--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *