Re: Tranny question

To: mlewellen@fruit.com
Subject: Re: Tranny question
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:15:32 EDT
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:56:20 -0500 Mike Lewellen <mlewellen@fruit.com>
writes:
>I have pulled the engine and tranny on my 76 B in order to replace the
>clutch.  .  I have done a lot of small repairs in my day but this is
>the
>first time I have pulled an engine.  Several question have come up
>which
>I thought would be good for the list. My first question is as follows:
>Once I got the transmission out and separated from the engine it was
>setting on the floor with the tailpiece down.  Oil seeped out of the
>rear when it was tipped down. When I leveled out the transmission the
>oil no longer seeped.  If this is a leak then it would appear that the
>oil would be gone from the transmission since it leaked so much.  It's
>hard for me to believe its not a leak!!  The oil seems to be coming
>from
>behind the big nut which holds on the device which connects to the
>propeler shaft only when it is tipped down.  Is this normal???!!!

Yes,  What happens is the rear seal simply cannnot cope with that much
fluid and it seeps out. with the tranny in it's normal orientation, the
amount of fluid at the seal is less my a LARGE amount. Basically, when
you had the tranny tilted, the weight of all the oil in the tranny was
pushing against the seal.
  Having said that, I'd still replace the rear seal while you've got the
tranny sitting on the floor, especially if you are unsure of the age of
the seal.  It's a whole lot easier than in the car!
 BTY, if you think thats a leak, you ought to see a Midget tranny when
it's tilted. On the Spridget, the inner lip of the seal presses againt
the yoke, which is removed prior to engine/tranny removal.  It'll empty
the tranny by the time you get the two out of the car.
Then you get to explain to the SO why there is a quart and a half of oil
on her nice clean drive/garage.  Two bags of kitty litter later you're
still explaining.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget