Re: midget runs, then dies mgs@autox.team.net

To: debrown@concentric.net
Subject: Re: midget runs, then dies mgs@autox.team.net
From: MartyWit@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:03:19 -0400 (EDT)

<< I have a 77 Midget 1500 with an unusual problem.  When you start it up,
 all seems well. Drive it away and within a block or two it starts its
 dying/restarting cycle, that is, the tach falls to nothing and the
 engine dies.  Upon hitting the starter, it usually starts right back up,
 then dies again, either immediately, or within a short distance.  Gas
 supply to the carb seems to be good.  I replaced my inline fuel filter
 (btw pump and carb) with a clear one, and it filled right up.  Any
 ideas?

  My '77 Midget had the exact same problem.  It drove me crazy trying to find
the source of this fault, but after much searching I discovered that a
connection on the starter solenoid was loose.  Not the wire, mind you, but
the actual metal tab protruding from the solenoid.  The particular tab/wire
combination in question went to the coil, and to prove that it was the
problem I bypassed that point on the solenoid and gave the wire from the coil
a tab on the solenoid used by a brown(live) wire.  If you do this you notice
that the ignition will come on and stay on until the wire is disconected.  I
ran my car like this for several months, until I got around to buying a new
solenoid.  The problem never reappeared, so I guess I was right.  Also, in my
case, I know that the ignition switch was not the problem because with the
ignition on I jiggled the key and checked to see if the ignition light
flickered; it didn't.  Hope this helps!

Marty
'70 MG Midget
'77 MG Midget