Speedometer

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speedometer
From: Johnson <MGPILOT@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:19:03 -0400
My speedometer in my 70B is once again not working.  I disconnected it
at the transmission and hooked a drill up to the right angle drive  and
it works OK. I'm going to assume(and we all know what a mistake that is)
that means that it is in the tranny where it is not quite "right".  When
I look in the catalogs (Moss and VB) they show a speedo pinion and a
bushing but only the bushing is available. Can anyone tell me which part
I need (please say it's the one available-even if you have to lie to me).
The speedo pinion is available for the 3 Syncro Trans., is this one
different than the 5 Syncro(the bushings are the same)?  Also is this
something that can be fixed without getting inside the tranny? I'm
assuming(once again) that I need at the least to drain the oil.

Another question while I'm here-I've been told that the inverted oil
filter I have is not as good as the hanging type.  I want to change to a
spin on filter, but the conversion kit for a inverted one is like a
hundred bucks whereas the one for a hanging one is thirty, is there a
reason I can't switch to the hanging one?  From the numbers on the
engine it is a 74 engine(18V) not the original engine, don't know if
this makes a difference or not.  Has anyone had any experience doing
this and is it worth doing?

TIA
Kathy
Ever wonder what you did with all your spare time before you owned an MG?