Re: dash pot oil

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: dash pot oil
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:14:20 -0400
Rick Morrison wrote:
> The dashpot oil in the carbs controls the RATE at which the piston rises
> as the throttle is opened. A lighter oil (ATF, 5W motor oil, sewing
> machine oil, etc) will allow the piston to rise at a faster rate than a
> heavier oil (50W motor oil, etc).

  The choice of oil also affects the rate of leakage. A nice
thin oil disappears in hours for me, a thick one lasts for
a week. Consider that if your dashpots leak and it's starting
to drive you nuts.

  (I know, I know I can fix the leak. But my long term plan is
a pair of SUs anyways so it's tough to want to work on
this single ZS.)

  I use engine oil, but I think it's too thick for
optimum. When I really gun it, I get a bit of black
smoke as I accelerate that is only there under
those circumstances. I can't feel any lags, but I
suppose it's not quite optimum.

  Just today I was working on a friends TR6 and was
reminded how much of a difference it is, at least
to the fingers. His car has ATF, and simply removing
the pistons and replacing them reveals how much
easier the piston moves in a thin oil.

  But I digress.

--
Trevor Boicey