RE:Overdrive Reassembly

To: owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:Overdrive Reassembly
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:50:38 -0400

> Technical question:
>     I'm reassembling my LH-type (<1974) overdrive after overhauling. I'm
> having trouble mating the overdrive unit to the adaptor housing. The
> overdrive slides onto the shaft with no problem, but I can't get it to
close
> the last quarter inch.  My first thought was that the pump cam was the
> problem, but I think something else is hanging it up. Anyone have any
> experience reassembling overdrives.
> Scott Smithers
> (digest reader so please e-mail me as well as the list so I don't miss any
> replies :-) )

Scott-

Had this problem myself.  There are actually two splined pieces in the
overdrive that must line up to one another.  It is possible for one of these
splined components to rotate with respect to the other, preventing the main
shaft from sliding all the way into the overdrive.  If you shine a
flashlight into the overdrive, you should be able to see whether the splines
line up all the way down.  If not, you will need to loosen the bolts that
hold the overdrive housing halves together.  Doing so will releive the
spring pressure from the clutch, and allow the splines to rotate freely,
allowing the assemblly to be mounted on the shaft.

If the splines are aligned, you still have to make sure that the piston for
the O.D. oil pump is depressed, and that the o.d. is oriented so that the
low point on the pump cam follower is under the pump piston for the whole
unit to go together.  You can use a piece of wire (such as welding wire) to
hold the piston back, and then slip the wire out after the o.d. unit is
fully enganged on the main shaft.  Use about a foot length of wire, wrap one
end around a stud on the overdrive housing near the pump.  Thread the free
end of the wire through the psiton where the piston roller is mounted.
Depress the piston, and tension the wire, securing the free end to another
stud to hold the spring tension.

Regards,

Chris Delling