musings and a question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: musings and a question
From: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 10:18:50 EDT
    after many weeks vacationing under the carport, the 73 'b lives
again.  i've got a slight valve tick and an overly rich mixture (i
think), but i've never been happier to hear a car crank.  BTW, what
is the piston lifting rule (1/8") when adjusting the mixture? (hif4 su's)

    happily driving around last night, i began pondering all this talk
of the future of lbs's.  i've wanted an mgb since before i could drive,
and at age 24, my wish has finally come true.  the car takes up a lot of
time, but it also sat in storage for a few years before i purchased it,
so i knew what i was getting into.  i'm lucky in that mt father-in-law
has had a couple of mgb's and currently has a tf--my wife grew up with
mg's, therefore is very appreciative (and tolerant!) of the 'b.

    sadly, i know of very few people my age with any interest in older
cars, especially british cars.  cars seem to have evolved into a
disposable commodity.  lease a new car, drive the hell out of it for
2-4 years, trade it in, lease another new car...  air conditioning,
power steering, 100,000 mile tune-ups, and a smooth, quiet ride along
with some degree of performance seem to be the features in demand.  i
suppose the high heat index, frequent tuning, and hard ride of an mg
are not strong selling points on the market today.

    for me, working on the car is a sort of therapy.  driving it is the
ultimate therapy.  maybe if more people had the chance to drive lbc's,
they would understand the value of these cars.  sure, a miata's easier,
but the sound of that little british 1.8 strolling through the gears,
the breeze rushing around you, the purr of the overdrive--pure poetry
(even with a slight valve tick...).  lbc's are cars designed for
driving, not ultra-quiet, climate controlled, smooth-riding cruising.
i like my wife's toyota, and my nissan pickup isn't bad, but they are
no match for the sheer fun of the mg.  my $.02...
-robert williford