FW: Re: TF Vapor Lock

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: TF Vapor Lock
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:46:11 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/<HTML>/i" at line 43]

     Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:00:45 -0500
     From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
     Subject: Re: TF Vapor Lock

ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

> Hi David,
>  Thanks for your reply. Your idea of using a supplementary pump sure
> makes sense to me. My TD MkII has two pumps, so one is likely to be in
> service at any time, but in our MGB I keep a small USA auxiliary pump
>    <snip>
> I have set it up with short rubber fuel hoses and clamps so that if the
> trusty SU were to take a vacation, the auxiliary pump could be hooked
> into the fuel line just ahead of the carburettors, and the wires lead
> around the engine to the fuse block on the opposite side.
> <snip>

You're asking for a bad day if you do that. Specifically, trying to mount an
electric fuel pump in the engine bay even 'just for emergenices' will likely
prove somewhat frustrating. I did this once with, pretty much, the same idea you
had. The lesson learned is that electric pumps are pretty good at pushing gas
but pretty poor at sucking. Also, the US fuel pump might be a little heavy on
pressure. This isn't a problem when the output starts at the right rear tire and
loses pressure all the way up to the carbs.

When my 'emergency' occurred, the car would run okay cold but the hotter it got
the more likely the thing would vapor lock. With the pump in the engine
compartment, there is no pressure downstream of the pump and this makes it much
more likely for bubbles to form in the line and your motor to stumble.

Wanna solve vapor lock? Put a high pressure pump in the stock location and a
pressure regulator just before the carbs. This is your best shot to prevent fuel
vaporization in the line.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"One should forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged." -- Heine