Re: 948 Engine Swap

To: MG Mavens <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 948 Engine Swap
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Date: 28 Jul 1997 17:14:14 -0500
gkirk@e2.empirenet.com writes:
> M y Mk1 Midget's 948 engine is in relatively sad shape, and oculd use
> refreshing.  I have the possibiliy of acquiring a 948 engine out of a
> Morris, but I am not sure is this engine will bolt up to the Midget's
> transmission.  If it's only (famous last words) a matter of switching the
> backing plates, I thing I'd be willing to undertake this, but I have the
> dreaded premonition that this Morris 948 cc engine will not fit and would
> rather know be\fore I spend the money on it...
>
> so begginf for your accumulated wisdom...

Even if in better shape, the 948 from the Morris will probably be
slower.  It probably has a milder cam, lower compression, etc.  Maybe
this is completely out of your budget, but have you considered a used
or rebuilt 1275?

--
Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com> | Bloomington, IN, USA | '60 Mini
<URL:http://pobox.com/~mliggett/> |    '89 SAAB 900t SPG | '70 MG Midget