Re: The Calling (lots of musings, little LBC)

To: MLishego@aol.com
Subject: Re: The Calling (lots of musings, little LBC)
From: Len Bugel <bugel@bianca.sms.k12.vt.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 MLishego@aol.com wrote:

> 1984.  Big Brother is watching you.
>
> There's nothing that I enjoy more than a nice drive throught the country.
>  There's nothing that scares me more than the thought that someday, I won't
> be able to do this.  However, I think that the list, in general, might be
> blowing the speed of this transaction out of proportion.  The past century
> has seen a tremendous growth in technology, medecine, and business due to the
> industrial revolution.  However, I can't see this rate of growth being
> exponential; in other words, it has to slow down.

        I agree that exponential growth cannot go on forever, but lots of
decisions are made on the premise that it will -- look at the Dow!! The
biggest problem (IMHO) is human population, which is growing
exponentially. Most other problems from crowded freeways, unbreatheable
air, diminishing petroleum resources to destruction of the rain forests
would not exist if human population were say 10% of present. Of course
nature will deal with this problem eventually, but her methods are not
pleasant - starvation, disease, pestillence and so forth. Probably the
sooner that alternative tranportation becomes available for everyday use,
the better the chance of thee car hobby surviving, as a hobby.

 Right now, the internal
> combustion engine is still the weapon of choice for going to the mall and
> picking up a super gulp at BP.  The governments of the world are still
> getting rich on petroleum and it's by-products.

That's right. And long-tem planning refers to next quarter!

As long as there's money to
> be made, cars will stick around.  However, when the money wears thin, that's
> when we might see our cars leaving the roads.
>
> My closing point:  there is nothing, right now, that is going to take the
> place of our cars.  Not enough trains and planes, and electric cars are not
> perfected enough for everyday use (yet).  So, enjoy 'em while you can!
>  Life's too short to sit around and worry, go out and find a county road!
> ~Mike Lishego
> "I'm getting off the soapbox now."

        Me too!

Len Bugel