Re: Physics quiz (was: The old hotfoot routine - reply)

To: kdodd@west.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Physics quiz (was: The old hotfoot routine - reply)
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-28 20:26:04 EDT, kdodd@West.net (Kelvin Dodd)
writes:

>  Any other ideas?  Anyone tried the upgraded fan blade?
>
>  Kelvin.

I installed the Seven Ent. upgraded fan in my 64 B.  Some observations:

a) It is a generic fan designed for a wide range of lbc cars

b) It is too deep by about 1/3" for the standard B box. I modified the
mounting with spacers which created more problems because then you have a
1/3" gap around the fan housing.  Insulation in the gap is possible but you
need to be careful it doesn't get sucked into the fan.

3) The fan does put out a lot more air flow but I also had to modify the
clamp that holds the fan blade assembly to the motor shaft...the one supplied
with the kit was not strong enouph and the fan blade assembly kept coming
loose after 3 or 4 minutes and clattering against the side of the heater box.
 I think I used a circlip that i got at the hardware store.

4) finally got the thing to work but haven't really figured the best way to
insulate the gaps so it doesn't look like you stuffed a pair of underwear in
around the edges...

5) All in all, I think it is an improvement, but it would seem to me that
enough B's have this flow problem that they could design a blade assembly
specifically for our cars and not a generic lbc model.

My .02 worth....

Bruce durgin
64 B