Re: Heater valve & ole #4 (was: Re: The old hotfoot routine)

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Heater valve & ole #4 (was: Re: The old hotfoot routine)
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 07:29:32 -0400
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> > > Really?  Any comments from the peanut gallery?
> >
> > (Oh, what the heck - I'll chime in with flame bait.)  I've seen this
> > nonsense comment before and don't believe it in the least.  Remember
> > that this car was often produced without a heater at all.  In many
> > markets, particularly the home market, a heater was an optional extra.
> > I had to laugh at the thought of driving around in these temperatures
> > with the heater radiator on.  Good grief.
> >
> > Okay, I've done my best to get somebody's goat ;>) so let's hear an
> > explantion that makes sense from someone who buys into this theory.  I
> > say that what you are doing by leaving the heater valve open is simply
> > lowering the overall coolant temperature by just a bit.  Number four
> > wouldn't benefit any more than number one.
>
> I read this in Stapleton's book "How to make your Sprite outperform a
> 2liter twincam crossflow MGB", or some such title.  He said that if you
> are removing the heater, replace it by a hose rather than blocking it off
> to keep water circulation going in the back of the block.
> I don't know how the water passages are designed in the rear of the block
> and what the pressure loss between the front and rear of the block is, but
> it probably can't hurt to have that extra pathway for hot coolant from
> the rear of the block back to the front.

>                                                            '67 Sprite

Thought has crossed my mind that we're working under an assumption here
that water flow is the same in a Sprite as in an MGB.  Confirmation,
anyone?  I'm talking MGB, Ulix is talking Sprite - are we on the same
page on not?

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/