Re: TD rack and pinion noise fix

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: TD rack and pinion noise fix
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:31:59 +0000
David,
Yes it is. The damper boss I refer to is the undrilled and untapped
right side of the steering rack(assuming you have a left hand drive TD.)
You say you have a bit of play on the damper side now. If you look under
that domed nut you're having such a time removing, you'll find the
following: several thin shims, a 3/4" spring and a hollow brass damper
pad. The spring fits into the damper pad and when tightened correctly,
forces the brass end against the rack to take up the play. There should
be a clearance that adds up to .051" under the domed nut. This is the
standard pre-load shim total. If you check on the road and this is too
tight or too loose, it is permissable to decrease to .030" or increase
to .070". Check the manual for the correct procedure when measuring.
I wouldn't bother using emery paper, that's a lot of work, just remove a
couple of shims to fit closer. It's a good idea to unscrew that damper
assembly as I have seen cases where the bottom of the brass pad was worn
away and the spring is wearing against the rack!

Good Luck,
Dave Houser