Fwd: 72 MGB - Engine Rebuild?

To: rsellers@esiusa.com
Subject: Fwd: 72 MGB - Engine Rebuild?
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:46:06 -0400
--WebTV-Mail-7999190-744

Have you considered doing it yourself?  Check around the highschools and
such in your area for adult classes in auto mechanics.  We have a local
tech school that, thanks to a great guy from our local club, now offers
a British Auto Repair class along with their other adult tech classes
(there's also a bodywork class - I know a guy who restored a very
tired-looking MGA in class and it looks great - but I digress).  I
personally haven't rebuilt my engine (doesn't need it yet), but have
helped with others in class, and it's really not that hard.  The best
thing was having the tech expert as a guide along the way.  I even saw a
guy who couldn't even change his own oil but ended up rebuilding his
engine.  If you like working on your car and can find such a class (not
necessarily even specific to LBCs) you can save a fortune on labor, and
you will probably be more careful and thorough than some grease monkey
who has absolutely no idea how much your LBC is worth to you.  It's
really not as hard as you might think, but you do need some equipment
that you probably don't have in the garage (like a valve grinder, for
example) and a class can give you access to those things.  And think of
the incredible feeling of pride and accomplishment you'll have when
you're done!

-Nory
 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger