Re: Yet more on the MGB Twin Cam

To: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>, MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Yet more on the MGB Twin Cam
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 17:50:00 +0100
Don Hayter, in case you didn't know, was an draughtsman (later
engineer) at MG, joining in 1956, becoming Chief Engineer in 1973. In my
book (plug plug), I suggest that if Syd Enever - as Chief Engineer - was
the father of the MGB, Don Hayter and Jim O'Neill - who between them
shaped its classic lines - were its God-Parents. Don, deeply involved in
ALL R&D work should know if there had been a twin cam MGB, and I asked
him the direct question. I have also spoken to others who would know -
e.g. Terry Mitchell (Chief Chassis Engineer) and Jim O'Neill (Chief Body
Engineer), Dickie Wright, Cliff Bray, Geoff Allen, Uncle Tom Cobbledy
and all etc. and I can assure you, if it happened at Abingdon, they
would know about it. But they say it didn't. Period. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong - it is a lovely idea - and I agree with you, it
would provide a truly fascinating project, with a  unique slant on MG
`heritage', but please please don't be taken in by some of those
`papers' which come with cars - I found out that a Daimler V8 engined
MGB which was built by an employee at Ricardo Engineering in his spare
time somehow gained an `official' history, with papers (which I have
copies of) implying official Abingdon involvement. I checked back
thoroughly with all the proper sources  - Abingdon sources - and they
confirmed that although a Daimler V8 engine was tried in a bodyshell in
the experimental shop, no complete car was ever built. The Daimler V8
MGB was last seen in Switzerland, with a for sale tag on it.....

Another thing, for fans of competition MG's; you should know that
Abingdon wasn't averse to swapping chassis and registration numbers
around a bit, making the life of the masochistic MG historian all the
more interesting. Add to this the fact that two people could try to
build a single car from different bits......

David Knowles
1974 MGB GT V8 Damask
1980 MGB Inca