Re: Yet more on the MGB Twin Cam

To: "David Knowles" <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>, "MGDIGEST" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Yet more on the MGB Twin Cam
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:00:44 -0400
> Don Hayter, in case you didn't know, was an draughtsman (later
> engineer) at MG, joining in 1956, becoming Chief Engineer in 1973. In my
> book (plug plug), I suggest that if Syd Enever - as Chief Engineer - was
> the father of the MGB, Don Hayter and Jim O'Neill - who between them
> shaped its classic lines - were its God-Parents. Don, deeply involved in
> ALL R&D work should know if there had been a twin cam MGB, and I asked
> him the direct question. I have also spoken to others who would know -
> e.g. Terry Mitchell (Chief Chassis Engineer) and Jim O'Neill (Chief Body
> Engineer), Dickie Wright, Cliff Bray, Geoff Allen, Uncle Tom Cobbledy
> and all etc. and I can assure you, if it happened at Abingdon, they
> would know about it. But they say it didn't. Period. Sorry.

I know who he is...wow you managed to find and talk to 6 differenet ex-MG
workers in 2 days...and they all said no?  Quite impressive...but then
again, that is kinda hard to believe.

> Don't get me wrong - it is a lovely idea - and I agree with you, it
> would provide a truly fascinating project, with a  unique slant on MG
> `heritage', but please please don't be taken in by some of those
> `papers' which come with cars - I found out that a Daimler V8 engined
> MGB which was built by an employee at Ricardo Engineering in his spare
> time somehow gained an `official' history, with papers (which I have
> copies of) implying official Abingdon involvement. I checked back
> thoroughly with all the proper sources  - Abingdon sources - and they
> confirmed that although a Daimler V8 engine was tried in a bodyshell in
> the experimental shop, no complete car was ever built. The Daimler V8
> MGB was last seen in Switzerland, with a for sale tag on it.....

What if the car that he owns, is the original Prototype car that is
documented?

> Another thing, for fans of competition MG's; you should know that
> Abingdon wasn't averse to swapping chassis and registration numbers
> around a bit, making the life of the masochistic MG historian all the
> more interesting. Add to this the fact that two people could try to
> build a single car from different bits......

Yup, that is what I have said before.  British Organization is like a hole
in a fish tank.
I know, I deal with it 40 work hours a week and then some at home.

> David Knowles
> 1974 MGB GT V8 Damask
> 1980 MGB Inca

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net @ 1966 MGB -- http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg

Dialogue Internet -- Intelligent Internet Solutions

"Introducing the NEW Lucas Vacuum Sweeper...
...If it is made by Lucas you know is Sucks!"