Death of cars?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Death of cars?
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 01:31:37 -0700
For a glimpse of the (possible) future.....Grab a copy of Rush's album
moving pictures or the live album from the mid 80's and listen to "red
barchetta" .  About a guy who regulary sneaks out to drive the car that
his uncle restored and hides away.  AND IS AGAINST THE LAW.

 From memory..(forgive me if I screw this up).

Out on the farm my uncle preserved for me an old machine for 50 odd
years,
to keep it as new has been his dearest dream,
I slip away the old debris that hides the shining car,
a brilliant red barchetta from a better vanished time,
Fire up the willing engine responding with a roar,
tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Well weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scent of country air.
Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware.

the song then goes on about how he gets hunted down by
the feds and he loses them.  Worth a listen.

Might be a bit much for the OLD TIMERS (Kidding) and all the
20 somethings are saying "Rush?  who is Rush??".

Personally I don't see cars going anywhere anytime soon....but I do see a
time that the govt makes it very hard to own a "polluter"....I am sure my
Midget with 45DCOE's on it NEVER spews ANY unburned hydrocarbons.  (it
also doesn't leak any..who says that it just marks its territory?..I like
that)

I'll be the one with the car hidden in the barn!!  Catch me if you can!

P.S.  If the market is getting older....and we aren't replacing fine
gentlemen like Ray (P.SS. the letter from his son was awesome) with
younger folks (I am 31 and have had three LBC's..do I count?) the how
come the cars are getting nore expensive??

I was kinda hoping no one would want to buy that AH100/Lotus 7/MG-TC/AC
ACE when I had a littlemore $$$ to spend and they'd all be cheap!
Doesn't look that way!

Ric Bergstrom
Richmnd, VA

**************COPY OF MESSAGE FOLLOWS*************

*****There are two ways to attatck this anti-car mentality. Education,
get your
friends and neighbors to first understand that there actually IS an
impending problem and try to reason with them and get them to identify
when
they are being propagandized, and two, work on defining the local laws to
point that there is little left up for inturpitation. These are positive
actions that we can take while the whole world goes to hell in a
handbasket
and there's not a thing that we can do about it! See you on the Funway! -
Rick Feibusch - Venice, CA.