RE: MGB Head

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGB Head
From: Patti & John Morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 21:57:26 -0500
Hi Thomas,

Replacing valve seats is a job for the machine shop..even if you already
have inserts. Don't even think about it. You might be able to replace the
valves IF the seats are in really good condition. You would want to lap the
valves to the seat with valve grinding paste. Take it from someone who
used to have time to dabble, just take it all to the shop and you will be
much happier. Have them make sure the heads not warped or cracked
while they're at it.

There are several sealers specifically for head gaskets. You could use one
of them. I usually use chassis lube (grease). I wouldn't put it together dry.

I don't usually replace the studs unless they are damaged, bent or look
stretched (usually on one of the threaded ends). The stretching is from over
tightening and is usually on the upper end.

Hope this helps