Midget on Skyline Dr. [Longish]

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget on Skyline Dr. [Longish]
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 97 14:40:22 -0400
I am starting to get caught up with work after vacation so here is a
little bit about our experiences in the Midget.

     First of all we (SO and Me) were traveling with our youngest
daughter (13) and a friend on his Yamaha FJ1200. We left Lansdale about
7AM on Sat the 19th. Headed for Harrisburg on I-76. About 60 miles into
the trip I noticed that the tach, temp, and fuel gauge were starting to
drift towards zero. A couple of days prior I had a similar thing occur
when the fuse had worked loose. We stopped and I checked the fuse but it
seemed OK. When I got back in the car it wouldn't start. I had left the
lights on so we gave it a shove and off we went. As we got closer to
Harrisburg I figured out the problem, my BRAND FU**ING NEW battery was
shorted out. As we were running on the high way and not using any
peripherals (lights CB etc) we decided to go for Front Royal, VA. Made it
w/ no further problems. The cruise from Harrisburg to Gettysburg is
almost as boring as Interstate, but from there south to Front Royal
through Harpers Ferry was pretty cool especially crossing the Potomoc.
The next day we debated about a new battery or to take a short cruise up
to Skyline and Luray Cavern. About 10 miles into the drive I started to
get nervous and turned around to get a battery. $65 in Front Royal. Just
to be safe we stopped at a service place to check the alternator. -1
amps. @$#^%#$^&@%#$&$&@#%^#$^@#*#$^& Pep Boys.
     I went to the campsite and called them, They don't deliver, If I
wanted to get a new Alternator from them I had to go to their nearest
store in Manassas about 70 miles. Sighing softly I called VB as their
alternators are cheaper than Moss. Tough,  2 week backorder. Called Moss,
Overnighted to Charlottesville VA (our next campsite for the measly price
of $190.00. (I paid 74 for the rebuild from Pep Boys). Well with a good
battery (and a new battery charger and 50' extension cord added to the
trunk) off we went down Skyline Drive on Monday morning. If you ever get
a chance DO THIS DRIVE!!!. Although the speed limit is officially 35 we
mostly went 40-45, Beautiful overlooks especially off to the east as the
Shenandoah Valley is pretty well developed. Got some great pictures that
when I get them developed I will send them to Adrian (I promise) along
with shots of the Midget. We camped out in Charlottesville on Monday
night and went to Monticello on Tuesday. Got back to the campsite and the
Alternator was there as ordered. But it was Pouring.

There is more to tell but I must get back to work I'll follow up tomorrow.

Larry Macy
78 Midget (fresh from a 1960 mi cruise)

Oh Yea the only LBC's we saw on our entire trip were four in Front Royal
a little blue AH Sprite whom stopped to chat and three Bs, 2 rubber and
one chrome bumper.