Re: Blessed? [was Re: Hot Hot Hot] -Reply

To: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Subject: Re: Blessed? [was Re: Hot Hot Hot] -Reply
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:14:32 -0500
At 10:43 AM 8/12/97 -0400, Matt Kulka wrote:

[snip]
>slamming against my firewall and trans tunnel.  Once I got that taken
>care of, insulation wasn't neccessary.

>I'd say you're blessed in that you can get good tight exhaust
>connections done right the first time.

>Care to give some good advice in that vein?

I took Darlin' to Sam's Muffler shop in the deep west side of San Antonio
(can be scary there!). Sam was great. George Merryweather had sent me
written instructions on how to install the shiny, new stainless exhause
system. Sam let me check off the steps as he went. Ie., he did it my way.
That was pretty decent of him and he learned about why MGAs are different,
too. He only charged me $30. The only place we got "crosswise" was with the
positioning of the tail pipe. He wanted to point it down. I stood my ground
that it was to point to 3 o'clock!

>I will say this is the first car on which I've found brass nuts holding
>the exhaust together.  I suppose that's so they don't rust to the
>manifold studs, but I don't yet have the knack to torque them correctly.
> I don't want to strip that soft brass.  Maybe a dollop of lock-tite or
>double-nutting will help...

Sam just tightened them down pretty snug. He didn't armstrong them too
tight. No problems in about $2000 miles. The exhaust that came off --
pretty ugly! -- had brass nuts on it, too. Sure made removal easier.

Stay away from the big muffler shops. Go to Pop's Mufflers or some such
where they will work with you. In my case, Sam worked on the MGA between
other more conventional installations. He also made beautiful custom
exhaust systems at a very reasonable price. Try that at Midas!

Carol