Re: opinion on new mg

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: opinion on new mg
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:02:10 -0500 (EST)
I haven't bought into iron and steel having soul.  Remember, MG's in their time
were a fun and cheap ride.  They are still a fun and relatively cheap ride. (If
we all had more disposable income we wouldn't be on this list.  We would be
some other list talking about our Healey's, Jag's, Lotus's etc.)

If a new MG were to have appeal today it would still have to be fun, cheap and
dependable.  If it didn't have a large enough market appeal to sell volume it
either would not exist or be too expensive for most of us.  I have never drove
one, but I would guess a new Morgan would have the kind of soul you are looking
for.  But from the little I know, they are expensive and not US legal.

I doubt you would plunk down 20-25K for a new car that required the
attention that most of our beloved old MG's need.  I agree a M***a is a MG
wanna be.  But I also believe it is as close to what a MG would look like today
if they had survived.  It is the only way they could sell the volume to be a
fun, cheap, ride

Lighten up, I am not ready to trade my B in for a M***a.    Our beloved MG's
are  for most of us a hobby, a statement, or a bit of nostalgia.  I try not to
get too serious about objects.  I save that for family and friends,  who do
have soul.

It always gives me a chuckle when I am on my bike with my Harley friends and we
pass other Harleys.  99% wave to their comrades on American "irron".  If I am
lucky, 20% of those same riders wave to me on my rice burner.  That attitude
is probably the reason I will never own a Harley.  Once my B is on the road
I'll probably flash my lights at M***a's!

Cheers.

Ray in Indiana, PA