Re: opinion on new mg

To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: opinion on new mg
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:31:41 -0500
At 11:02 PM 8/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I haven't bought into iron and steel having soul.  Remember, MG's in their time
>were a fun and cheap ride.  They are still a fun and relatively cheap ride. (If
>we all had more disposable income we wouldn't be on this list.  We would be
>some other list talking about our Healey's, Jag's, Lotus's etc.)

Mmmm, I don't mean to be mean, but perhaps it is you who haven't any soul?
Soul in a vehicle occurs when art melds with function, and is usually
accomplished by a small number of designers with powerful personalities. .
.not large numbers of designers with powerful computers! As for disposable
income, speak for yourself. I have a B, a Jensen, and a Land-Rover, if I
wanted a Healey, Jag or Lotus I could certainly have one -- though one or
more of my 3 current cars would have to be sacrificed (or maybe I could talk
my wife into losing her stupid Audi...).
 I think it is obvious that no one car 'speaks' to all people, but I can
appreciate almost any older vehicle, be it German, British, or American. It
may be that only an anachronism like a Morgan or Harley can translate soul
into a modern ride. The world, and the purpose of cars in the world has changed.
 BTW, you should be so insecure about your rice burner, then those Harley
guys wouldn't get to you ;-)

Michael, New Bern,NC