Re: Waxoyl

To: "Frank R. Krajewski" <FrankK@businesson.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Waxoyl
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:51:42 -0400
At 05:50 PM 8/16/97 -0700, Frank R. Krajewski wrote:
>Finally getting around to rustproofing my LBCs with some Waxoyl I had
>purchased from the MGOC several years ago. The cans have been stored in
>my shop for these past years and when I removed them from storage I
>detected rust on the cans containing the Waxoyl! This distrurbs me since
>I assumed this was the preeminent rustproofing solution. If the cans
>rusted, then what about the cars? Would appreciate any insights from
>others who may have used the Waxoyl applications in rustproofing.
>Thanks!
>Frank Krajewski

Frank, quite simply, the Waxoyl doesn't prevent rusting of the can it is
held in.
Waxoyl prevents rust since it prevents moisture and oxygen from contacting the
metal and inducing corrosion.  The only way Waxoyl can achieve this is by
applying
the substance to the metal.  It has no rust-retarding capabilities for
surfaces
not covered in the goo.

Secondly, Waxoyl is not a rustproofer.  It can only retard corrosion, and
if you
assume this will permanently stop rust you are incorrect.
It will, however, do a decent job of preventing the onset of rust, which is
essentially what you are attempting to do.   If you apply this product to a
body which is already
corroding, be careful, since rust can easily travel to the opposite metal
surface and continue rusting where you cannot easily detect it.

This said, does anyone know the feasibility of using sacrificial metals on
the auto body to prevent rusting.  Essentially, if one uses a metal with a
lower emf, you cause rust to attack the sacrificial metal and leave the
steel body unharmed.  This is a practice commonly used on large boats.

I am also considering doing some experimentation with metal powders mixed
in various rust-retarding paints to determine if rust can be prevented more
readily.  By mixing various metal powders(aluminum, zinc, etc) I may be
able to create a paint that will prevent rust indefinitely.

Jay