Re: Waxoyl

To: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Waxoyl
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 09:13:48 -0400 (EDT)

<< This said, does anyone know the feasibility of using sacrificial metals on
 the auto body to prevent rusting.  Essentially, if one uses a metal with a
 lower emf, you cause rust to attack the sacrificial metal and leave the
 steel body unharmed.  This is a practice commonly used on large boats.

 I am also considering doing some experimentation with metal powders mixed
 in various rust-retarding paints to determine if rust can be prevented more
 readily.  By mixing various metal powders(aluminum, zinc, etc) I may be
 able to create a paint that will prevent rust indefinitely.

 Jay

If you lay a zinc penney on a steel substrate, the corrrosion will attack the
penny, not the steel.  I'm not sure how all of this works, but I do know that
it does.  I think some of the automobile manufactures toyed with this idea in
the early '80's and now they galvanize some of the body pannels.

I've been using a zinc chromate etch primer over bare metal that seems to
work just fine.  I've got parts in my garage that have been laying around for
years, that have been stripped and then coated with the primer and show no
signs of oxidation.  There are even a few bare spots that are still bare, no
corrosion.

Scott