Re: Tires

To: JedPiper@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Tires
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 09:22:28 -0500 (CDT)
JedPiper writes:

> I am ready to replace the 165 SR14's that my 76 B currently wears.  What is
> the consensus on a suitable replacement?  The B is driven 30 or so
> miles/day to and from work, at 65-75 mph.  Any and all suggestions would be
> appreciated.

I run 185/70R14s on my Rostyles (not sure if these are optimum for wire
wheels).  Any modern tire, even the cheaper ones (as long as they're
made by a reputable manufacturer) will be light years better than the
best performance tires available when the 'B's chassis was designed.
185/70R14 are commonly available; more so than 175/70R14s I believe.  I
paid $250 for a set of Goodyear T-Metrics at a local Goodyear Service
Center.  I drive 'em 30 miles one-way every workday, plus here and there
(sometimes including out-of-state) on weekends.  I'm pleased with them.

On a related note, I recently inflated each of my four tires to 36 psi,
rather than the 32 front/37 rear I had been using.  Oddly enough, this
setting seems to have increased oversteer a bit, which is not what I
expected.  My suspension is completely stock, with the exception of GT
springs in the rear.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast