Re: Agony and Despair

To: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: Agony and Despair
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 07:51:40 -0700
Arthur Pfenninger wrote:

>         Does it turn over after it dies? If it does is it getting spark?
> pull a plug and hold it about 1/4 inch from the block while you turn it
> over. If you have a spark tester use it instead it will be more reliable.
> If you are getting spark at the plugs then its a fuel problem. Pull off
> the hose to the carb and see if it is getting gas if it is the float may
> be sticking and you may be flooding it or starving it.
> ...Art
>
> On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Mike Razor wrote:
>
> > Still no running MGA tried everything we know.  New plugs, plug wires
> > rotor cap, rotor button, points,  rebuilt carbs, balanced carbs and put
> > a color tune on it and it looked real good.  Was running and when we
> > took it for a ride it died about 100 yards from the house and refused to
> > start.  Checked the points and they were not opening all the way opened
> > them up and it still would not start, put a new coil on it and it fired
> > up until wife stalled it out backing it in the garage and it would not
> > start again.  Timing? Spark? Fuel?
> > Our newly formed club is having its first rallye today and I am the pres
> > and now car (TD is out of action cause I thought how hard could it be to
> > put in a new dash!) but that is a different story but I don't suggest it
> > for relaxing.
> >
> > HELP!
> >
> > THANKS!
> >
> > MIKE R
> > --
> > MZ

I think that Art may be correct about the trble being in the floats.
I had the same prob last week on my BGT and tried everything finally
noticed that the charcoal cannister was overflowing - removed the carbs
and cleaned them and reset the floats which were way off and problem was
solved!

Wish they were all that easy.

Rick
74 BGT