FW: Restoration

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Restoration
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:28:00 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Lawrence Swift
<"mgtd51@shell1.shore.net"@shore.net>]]

     Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 19:35:49 -0400
     From: Lawrence Swift <"mgtd51@shell1.shore.net"@shore.net>
     Subject: Restoration

Having just finished a five year project restoring, from ground up, a
1951 TD, I recently decided to begin a new project.  I just bought a
1961 Mk II MGA in pretty rotten shape.  Unlike the TD, there is
extensive rust - the middle part of the chassis is shot, there are no
signs of rocker panels.  But the rest of the sheet metal is fine, except
for assorted dings, dents, buckles, etc.

I have pretty much decided to use only gas welding to rebuild the car; I
grew up in the era before MIG welding.  However, I would like any advice
from those of you who have used both types of welding in you restoration
projects.  Is MIG welding the way to go?

Also, Sears sells an 85 amp 20% duty cycle MIG welder for a very good
price.  Does anyone have this piece of equipment; if so, what do you
think about it.

Thanks,

Larry Swift