FW: Re: Brake bias

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Brake bias
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:33:03 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 39  global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 43  global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 45]

     From: Spook37211@aol.com
     Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:42:44 -0400 (EDT)
     Subject: Re: Brake bias

In a message dated 97-07-17 22:19:17 EDT, gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
writes:

<<  the prefered condition for a panic stop, but given the
 >choice, I think I would prefer the rears to lock up first.

FWIW, I based my comments on the way we generally set up our racing
cars.  The ideal is to have the rear lock just a BCH before the front,
but in the real world we have to settle for as close to that as we can
get.  (It's hard enough getting the car ready for the next race with
out having to clean the seat cause the front end lock up and sent the
car way off line before David could gather it back in)

 >FWIW, one way to test your brake bias is to make wide chalk marks on the
 >front and rear tires. Have a friend video-tape you while you make a few panic
 >stops. When you play back the tape, the chalk mark on the wheels that are
 >still turning will be a blur, while mark on the wheels that have locked up
 >will be crisp and sharp. This way, it will be readily apparent which wheels
 >locked up first.

This is how we do it, but we use two cameras one on each side and a
series of prominent lines across the road surface to detect if one
wheel is locking before the other. That WILL throw the rear end
around! and it happens more often than you would think.  usually by an
improper adjustment (on the rear) or a malfunction in the pad/rotor
area on th front

 Rick Morrison