FW: Misc MG Musings...

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Misc MG Musings...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:35:26 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["S. L. Hower"
<76623.221@CompuServe.COM>]]

     Date: 18 Jul 97 11:16:13 EDT
     From: "S. L. Hower" <76623.221@CompuServe.COM>
     Subject: Misc MG Musings...

Hi Gang!

I've been away from the list for a good bit of the summer, but wanted to catch
up on some things.

My B is finally finished!  I took a second place at the Keystone
Region MG Club's British Motorcar Gathering last month.  This was a
nice show, and Yes; there were more than 2 cars in my class!

I got an e-mail from a coworker a few weeks ago.  It seems that
"someone" told her that I was into MG's.  She asked me to give her an
idea of what "this old MG in my garage might be worth".  Naturally,
this picqued my curiosity, so I asked her some more questions.  All
she could really tell me was that it was red, and that it was in dry
storage for the last 11 years.

Trying to maintain my enthusiasm, I agreed to meet her after work.
All I could think as I drove over was that this is the stuff legends
are made of: " Oh please, oh puhleeease, let this be a long forgotten
T series car; I'll give up homebrew *and* cigars, Oh please..."

She opened the garage door and we walked (Ok, ran) to the back of the
garage.  I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, the anxiety was
killing me.  She pulled the cover off, and there, under a half inch of
dust and mouse droppings was... a Midget :-| A rubber bumper Midget.

                                :-(

I dont know spit about Midgets, but I crawled around it and it
appeared very complete.  I keep a magnet and an ice pick in the trunk
for just such an occasion, and I couldnt find any signs of rot or
filler.  I dusted off a fender and the paint was in great shape.  :-|

She disappeared into the house and handed me a box with a new AMCO
top.  I dropped the old top and discovered a brand spankin-new
roll-bar.  Hmmm, I wonder what secrets await me under the bonnet.  I
popped the catch and found a Weber DGV, K+N filter, Lumenition and a
new exhaust system :-) Now we're talking.

She said she wanted to turn the car into a boy-racer but after the
bodywork/paint, she lost interest/ran out of dinero.  I told her I
thought the car might be worth $1250 tops to the right person.  To
which she replied: "I was going to ask a couple hundred bucks, I just
want it out of my garage. "

I can't say for cetrtain, but I think my wallet was smoking as it
exited my back pocket ;-)

So, I towed it home a couple of weeks ago and have a new fall/winter
project.  It needs carpet and a panel kit, and new hydraulics, but
other than that, nothing major.

Someone asked about Scott Fisher #1; I chatted with him a few months
back.  He was just finishing up an LIC (Alfa).  Dont know if he is
still racing B's or not.  I told him the list misses his posts/humor/etc.
He was flattered; I hope we see him back here someday.

I was saddened to hear of the loss of Dick Criswell.  I took my B out
for a long night-time drive.  All felt right with the world.

Thanks for listening if you made it this far!

--Scott
howersl@apci.com