Tach reading high

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tach reading high
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:22:43 EDT
Took the 69 on its first real jaunt in the 11 months ive owned it - its
spent most of the time with some part or other being rebuilt! - over 500
miles round trip with only one problem - airpump siezed on the way home -
probably the  o n l y  time Ive fixed a car roadside by taking something
OFF as opposed to putting something on! -
didnt need the damn thing anyway!
My thanks to the couple in the white roadster who stopped to help- i
didnt get their names but the car was Mass registered 66/67/68 ish -

Need a little wisdom conc the tach though - it appears to be reading
about 1000rpm high, when cruising at 60 the tach is at 4500-4700 as
opposed to the 3500 or so i would expect (non overdrive car) All my books
say words to the effect of "the tach is very simple, works off impulses,
never goes wrong, dont worry bout it!"
Im certain from listening that the engine isnt running that fast, the
tach is correct for the car and seemsto read correctly at idle - any
thoughts??

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT