Bloody Lucas!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bloody Lucas!
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:22:43 EDT
Sometimes the inevitable happens-  .....
Friday afternoon i left work early to get the 69 ready for the weekend
junket to Maine and to meet with Bob Howard who was in need of a fan
which my parts car had yet to donate!
It was a lovely afternoon and the 72 has just had an oil change and carb
"tweak" so i was thoroughly enjoying my ride home.
ten miles from home - zunk! the car has a massive coronary and dies .I
pull  over and stop in a driveway, zero power, no ignition, no lights no
nuttin...I check the battery connections, fuses, all the usual culprits
but nothing obvious and i cant get under the car so basically stumped.A
kindly soul who was passing directed me to a service station about half a
mile away, pleasant chaps but the closest i got to help was "never touch
them" - Triple A time......
I waited about 2 hours for a flatbed to arrive during which time three
guys stopped to help - obviously MG guys since the first looked at the
fuel pump. the second suggested that it was likely electric (duhhhhh) and
the third bummed a cigarette and told me all about his Audi head
conversion.- I dont mean to disparage, i enjoyed the conversations and
they passed the time.
By the time i got home Bob was already there and about 5 minutes after we
got it off the truck had diagnosed and fixed the problem - broken lead to
starter motor - Thanks Bob!!! it was worth more than a fan!! especially
as my jack has given up the ghost (well actually broke whilst holding up
a 2 ton jeep but thats another problem).
Wonderful folk we meet here on this list!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster