Z-S Carb Tuning & Manifold Modification

To: MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Z-S Carb Tuning & Manifold Modification
From: Rich Peterson <Rich_and_Kerry@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:19:45 -0400
Hello all,

I've been lurking for the past few weeks, having recently aquired my
brother's '77 MGB.  He got tired of tinkering and passed it along to me. =
owned a different '77 MGB some years ago, but had to sell it during
college, so I'm not completely new to LBCs - It's good to be back!!

The car is basically sound, but has some bugs.  I've been able to work
through most of them, but want to get some info on the Zenith carburator.=
 =

I've been having problems getting the car to hold a steady idle.  I
adjusted the mixture according to the procedure in the Haynes (I think)
manual where you set everything to nominal, then lift up on the piston
slightly to see if the engine speeds up or stumbles and adjust from there=
=2E =

Anyways, I think I've got it where it needs to be since the car idles
smoothly, revs freely and has good power and acceleration.  THe problem
comes after driving for a few minutes.  When I come to a traffic light, t=
he
engine idles at around 1700-1800 rpm for 10 seconds or so, then slowly
decreases until it stalls (or until I goose the throttle). FWIW I've
'detoxed' the engine (with the exception of soldering the valve on the
throttle butterfly closed) and fixed all the vacuum leaks in the system.

Second question - assuming I can't get the Z-S tuned right, I'm going to
put a weber on the car.  My question is:  has anyone ever 'cut' the intak=
section out of the stock ('75-'80) manifold assembly?  Seems like this
would allow sufficient room to add the weber intake manifold with out
having to change the exhaust header and exhaust system.

For the purists, I've preserved all the original bits and pieces so I can=

return the car to original if I decide to completely restore it, but am
currently more interested in a fun daily driver. =

Thanks in advance.

Rich Peterson - 102632,1453@compuserve.com

  =