Re: Need speedometer and parts

To: barneymg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Need speedometer and parts
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:02:22 -0500
I've been dealing with this on my TD rebuild.  My father is doing the
internals, since he has clockmaking experience and the early TD
instruments were built more like clocks than anything else.  He can
fabricate just about anything he would need to fix gears, etc.

I spoke to Mo-Ma in New Mexico (Margaret, the proprietor) and she was not
the nicest person I've ever spoken to on the phone.  When I asked if she
sold parts, she quickly said no way.  When I told her all I needed was
some dial faces and needles, she lightened up and said she would sell
those, but all she had were decals for the faces.

I haven't tried Nisonger in NY, yet, but I think the story will be the
same.  Someone on the list said that since there are no new parts being
made, restorers won't sell them 'cause they need them for their own work.
 This seems to make sense from the conversations I have had with a number
of people.

However, I have heard nothing but praise for Vintage Restorations in
England (who also will not sell components).  Perhaps if you have them
rebuild your speedo, it will be the last time.  Check out their web site
under advertisers on the MG Enthusiasts web page.

Other than that, you are best off finding your parts the same place the
restorers do-- in used units.

BTW, my trip odometer hasn't worked for ten years, either.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX