Re: More from the lighter side of: Opinion on new MG

To: Spook37211@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More from the lighter side of: Opinion on new MG
From: "CHARLES JOINER" <CJOINER@toltec.astate.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:11:18 CST
> From:           Spook37211@aol.com
> Date sent:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:45:23 -0400 (EDT)
> To:             tboicey@brit.ca
> Copies to:      mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject:        Re: More from the lighter side of: Opinion on new MG
> Send reply to:  Spook37211@aol.com

> In a message dated 97-08-19 04:52:23 EDT, tboicey@brit.ca (Trevor Boicey)
> writes:
>
> <<  Would american manufacturers ever make a compact car if
>  the japanese hadn't done it first?
>   >>
> The Japanese didn't do it first.......you need to read up there, Trevor.  The
> Jap industry was seeded by- you guessed it!- the British after WW2.
> The first Jap cars were junk compared to the cars here, but the Japanese
> learned fast, and now produce, I believe, around 38% of the worlds' total
> production.
> The older cars were products of their environment.  In America, lots of room,
> big cars.  Europe had smaller roads for the most part, smaller cars that
> handled better.
> Japan had few paved roads after the war, so no need to cruise at 70mph.
>
> Regards, Ray

 The first compact cars were made by Crosley,  an american who made
two fortunes, one in radio ie the Crosley radio and the other in the
crosley refrigerator.  He lost both of them trying to produce a
compact  car.  He died broke.  America was not ready for a compact
car.  Another compact car was the Henry J  manufactured by Kiaser.
same problem  America loved big cars.