Re: LBC Flat Rate Manual

To: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Subject: Re: LBC Flat Rate Manual
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:35:24 -0500
Kelvin Dodd wrote:

> Bob:
>
>         I have an original BMC flat rate guide.    I can't find a print
> date, but the car lineup indicates sometime around 1969.
>
>         Here's one for you Bob.   MGC water pump,  2 hours.
>
> It doesn't seem enough time to find all the special little nuts and
> bolts that sproing into the black abys of the engine bay.

Two hours for a 'C' pump is about right. You have to pull the radiator and it
isn't that big a deal. So, lemme see here:

2 hours at $50 an hour: $100.00
Pump from VB: $186.95
By Pass Hose: $6.55
Coolant: $6.00

Wow. Looks like $300.00. The last time I had the old pump rebuilt locally for
$60. But it took awhile to do the job after painting the pump; getting the bugs
out of the radiator; washing up the fan; might as well replace those oil cooler
lines; hey the horn wires are bodged up. . .

Of course, some folks have $300 and get to drive their car everyday. As I get
older I am beginning to admire those folks more and more!

Thanks for the book work, Kevin
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"I am an equal-opportunity bigot. I only associate with intelligent people."