RE: Overheating

To: "Todd Mullins" <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>,
Subject: RE: Overheating
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 97 12:55:18 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-mgs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Todd Mullins
Sent:   Tuesday, August 19, 1997 10:13 AM
To:     garyb@pentek.com
Cc:     mgs

Gary Burrell writes:

> Any ideas what to look for.  I've never had a problem when I was back
> in Nova Scotia.  The coolent is full, the water passages should be
> good as the engine was rebuilt and hot tanked about 4 years ago, and
> had a new water pump then.  The rad is about 6 years old and
> has been flushed a couple of times but not in the last year.  I'm going
> to try new coolent with a 70% (maximum) mix and the Red Line
> Water Wetter, and a new thermistat in case mine is only partually
> opening. Any other ideas

Please note that plain water will wick away more heat from your block
than coolant.  The coolant really only serves as a temperature limiter,
anti-corrosive, and water pump lubricant.  This info gleaned from
several reputable sources, none of which I can either locate or
remember...

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer running XX% water/ XX% coolant (toss a coin)

Todd makes a good point and I'd add that other than lubrication, anti
corrosion and increased boiling point, coolant (anti freeze) is really there
for its anti freezing properties.  Some racers I've spoken with are using
plain water along with few pints of Redline water wetter.  I use a 60/40 mix
of water/antifreeze with 2 pints of the pink elixir.

Dr. Doug

69 C Roadster (still runs hot - but then again I've got everything but the
kitchen sink in front of the radiator)
69 C GT (jury is out)
69 B Roadster (temp. needle stands erect as a newly installed flagpole)