"Pick-and-Choose" MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Pick-and-Choose" MGB
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:37:44 +0000
>       Given a generic 68-80 body shell and an unlimited parts bin of
> MG parts from these vintages.  What would you build?
>
> The car is to be used for daily commuting and long distance driving.
>
> example
>
> Glovebox   y / n
> Rubber Bumper  y / n
> Dashboard  68-72, 73-76, 77-80
> Seatbelts  lap, harness, retractable
> Seats  68, 69, 70-72, 73-76, 77-80
>
> etc.
>
> Kelvin.

Kelvin,
        Here's my two cents' worth.  I would go with Chrome bumpers, Roystle
or Minilite wheels, three-point retractable shoulder harnesses, '72
dash to get the glovebox and center console, 63-69 grille, and 1970
split rear bumper.  I like the 3-piece MG octagon for the boot lid
more than either of the solid ones (metal or plastic).  I would go
for the later, black folding top.  I don't know how the luggage racks
varied over the years, so I can't associate a particular year with
the one I hve in mind.
        As for the engine, I think all of the years you mentioned are
five-main 18Vs, so the choice comes down to the carbs.  I would go
with the dual SUs.  Oh, yes, overdrive tranny as well.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner