Re: Electronic Fuel Pump

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Fuel Pump
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:28:19 -0500
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Hi folks,
>         Thanks to John Nelson for pointing out an electronic fuel pump from
> Pep Boys for $30. <snip>
> On turning just the ignition on, the old SU pump would beat for about 10
> sec then stop.  This electronic one just keeps on ticking away and doesn't
> stop.  Is this normal?

Yes. Assuming it is not a reciprocating pump (ala SU) and is merely a
liquid-cooled, coninuosly running motor.

> Needless to say, I didn't bother reading the 2 page instructions that came
> with the pump until after I had finished.  It says someplace that " If the
> original pump is a combined fuel and vacuum pump then leave the pump in
> place.  Disconnect the fuel lines from the pump and attach them together.
> Do not remove the other vacuum lines"  What does all that mean?  There was
> a hose (vacuum?) that was connected to the old SU.  Is the SU a combined
> fuel and vacuum pump?

No. Hose is a 'breather' that usually terminates in the boot. Provides a path in
S.U. pumps for condensation to enter the electrics and corrode the contacts
after the warranty expires. This, like wheel bearings, is another 'technology
leading' Britsh car feature.

> The instructions also say to position the pump so that the output end is
> uppermost.  I hate to ask, but is that necessary?  If so, I'll have crawl
> back under and reposition the bloody thing.

No. Pump can be difficult to prime if output facing downhill. However, LBC fuel
pumps are lower than (a full) gas tank and should not pose a problem.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still