Re: head gasket question

To: MG digest submit <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: head gasket question
From: Philip <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 97 09:22:34 +0100
>Todays question, fellow listers - Are you supposed to use gasket sealer
>on a head gasket?  I've heard it's not necessary, but maybe it should be
>used as a "just to be on the safe side" type of thing?  Any opinions out
>there?
>
> -NORY
Definitely not. I made the mistake of doing that on my first engine =
rebuild at the tender agae of 17. The gasket immediately blew :-(

Head gaskets are designed to withstand high pressure and temperature. =
Sealant will stop the gasket from seating properly. Just make sure =
your head and block are flat.

BTW. Formula One engines don't use head gaskets at all =AD they are =
so well machined, the two surfaces form their own seal. Cool eh?

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk