Rebuild in progress

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rebuild in progress
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:42:56 +0000
Went by the mechanic's today to look at the parts from my engine.
All of the main bearings were showing copper, and two of them
were showing nothing BUT copper.  The oil pump was pretty
hammered, looked like it had pumped sand or something.  The metal
screen around the oil pump inlet actually had flakes of copper stuck
in it!
        The cam was the biggest shock, though.  One or two of the
lobes were pretty ok, so I could use them for comparison.  Four of
the lobes looked as if someone had pounded on the peak of the lobe
with a hammer, they were so flattened out.  Turns out the car has
been running on about 2 1/2 cylinders' worth.  Between finding that
out, and the fact that I'm replacing it with a better cam anyway
(piper 270), I really can't wait to get the car back now!       The block
is being hot-tanked and painted as I write, and the head is going
over later today for the same treatment.  I just wish I could
swing the cost of different pistons right now, because as I
suspected, mine are the large-dish type.  Coupled with my
big-chamber 1965 head, I probably have a compression ratio in the low
7s.  Oh well, gotta save SOMETHING for next time!
Scott

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner