Autocross Heaven (long and slightly boastful)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Autocross Heaven (long and slightly boastful)
From: Kenneth Scott <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:29:32 -0400
Hello,
        I have read the list for several years, posting rarely, but this
Sunday I had an experience I just had to  tell someone about.  SCCA held
an autocross at a local parking lot (central Mass) and I brought Jessica
(my 77 MGB named after Roger Rabbit's wife) down to see what we
could do.  There were all kinds of cars there, from the exotic small
formula types to a Ford ranger pickup and a Jag XJ6 (SCCA runs VERY
open autocrosses, like 50+ feet between pylons in the slaloms).  There
was also a Jag XKE V12.  I own an LBC.  I LOVE my LBC.  However, I
might be tempted by a V12 XKE.
        After the first run, the Jag V12 was almost 4 seconds ahead of
me.  At that time I got the absolutely insane idea of beating the V12.  I
know, fat chance, but the seed was planted.  After the second run, still
back by almost 4 seconds.  After the third run, back by almost 2
seconds.
        Last run, nothing to lose, foot to the floor and pray.  Beat the
Jag's best time by a quarter of a second.  I HAD DIED AND GONE TO
HEAVEN!!!!
        Sure, it was only that day, in that parking lot, on that course BUT
for this time, at least, an MGB was faster than an XKE V12.  Last run
was good enough for second in class, first went to an Acura.

Boasting mode off
Ken Scott
77 MGB roadster