vapor lock?

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: vapor lock?
From: missouf@mail.utexas.edu (steffy)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:41:10 -0500 (CDT)
I am new to the list, so I hope this question hasn't been handled recently.

I recently (May) acquired a '77 Midget, which is in wonderful condition, but
developed a problem a few weeks ago.  While driving, the accellerator
suddenly lost power, followed by the engine dieing;  the car would sound
like it "wanted" to start, but could not.  This has happened twice.
I think that the problem is vapor lock:  I live in Austin, TX, where the
driving conditions are rather warm, and I have also read that the fuel line
runs beside the heater box, causing the gas to overheat.

My question, then, is:  is the problem vapor lock?  And will insulating the
fuel line with the material available from a parts store for this purpose be
enough?  Have any of the other drivers in the South (or other places) had,
and successfully fixed, this solution?  Or do I simply need to move North?

Any help is appreciated.

Stephanie Gibbs
'77 MG Midget (Ebenezer 'Ebby' Peabody Doolittle)