Messerschmidts

To: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Subject: Messerschmidts
From: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:08:36 -0400
This is the coolist thing on 3-4 wheels.  As soon as I can find one I will
buy it.

I believe the made 4 version of this, the KR175, KR200, KR200 Roadster, and
TG 500 (the Tiger).  They are similar in theory to a BMW Isetta.  As with
the BMW, the KR and TG series was build as a cheap economy car after WW2
and was mainly sold throughout out Germany and its surround regions.  The
Messerschmidt is truly unique that it uses a "bubble" top that flips open
to the right side, and instead of sitting side by side you sit 1 in front,
one behind.

<brain is starting to hurt> If I can remember right, the Messerschmidts
used a motorcycle engine.

And I don't think the body panels are reproduced, due to the small number
of cars.  You would have to search junkyards are call someone that is into
"Micro Cars".  Classic & Sportscar, did an article not to long ago on a
guy...the article was called "Micro Biology", but I can't find it.  That
guy was in France.

And a few magazines before that they also did another article on a Micro
Car collector that collected MAINLY Messerschmidts.  I can't remember the
names of the article.

If I find either article I'll let you know.  I also believe that little
monster shares some parts with Vespa scooters, you may want to check up on
that.

Hope that helps a bit,

Kai

> Here's one, slightly off topic . A friend of a friend gota hold of a
>Motorcycle/car thing ( as he descibed it ) made by the Messerschmidt
>aircraft company during the early 50's. He said it was made into a
>Car/motorcycle thing, due to some kind of import restrictions by the US.
>Anyways, if anyone has a clue as to where info/parts could be had for
>this beast, he would be greatful.
> I guess the freeworld did not exactly bend over backwards for the Axis
>countries after the war. Motorcycle/car thing ? Sounds like a real money
>maker to me  :)

Kai Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net, 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Dialogue Internet - Intelligent Internet Solutions

IRC: irc.voicenet.com, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)